once u told me that borges was your fav writer ...and i had resented that i was not learned enough to understand him.....but after reading all his fictions and some non fictions esp a new refutation of time....i also am a fan of borges..people usually recommend ialo calvino as a similar writer,, but he is quite different...i found the new york trilogy in the similar mood ...
i am ordering bruno sculz ...can u recommend some familiar writings..i mean similar to borges?
Hello Sandipan, it's been a while since we talked last... I am quite surprised and happy that you remembered this blog and have been visiting for such a long time. Thank you.
Regarding JLB, he is still probably my favourite writer – though I would now add Faiz Ahmad Faiz to that list. Both of them have had a huge impact on my personality and how I think about things. Like Borges... hm, a very tough question, in that I don't know if anyone can be as incredibly well-read as him... but you may try Roberto Calasso. I have heard really good things about him. Though I don't have much time to read outside what my PhD asks me to read these days, I have been wanting to read him for a long time. You can check out this interview of Calasso to begin with if you wish:
When I read 'When on a Winter's Night a Traveller' quite a few years back, it sort of reminded me of a maze, you know? Like Calvino was playing with the reader, writing her a labyrinth like Daedalus built one for the Minotaur at Crete.
I'm afraid I haven't read any Bruno Schulz, but thanks for the recommendation. The New York Trilogy is one of the books I really like... though I see why the Milton professor's roundabout routes (I forget his name, Paul Stitman, Stidman? anyway) in City of Glass would remind of Calvino's twists and turns :)... do try to get your hands on the graphic novel version of City of Glass if you can, it's rather nice. I later got the Faber Firsts edition of The New York Trilogy, but my first copy of City of Glass was a tiny paperback edition with an all-red cover printed in Germany that I discovered while browsing through the bookshelves in an old and dusty second-hand bookstore on Free School Street in Calcutta... quite apt, don't you think? Reading Auster's Moon Palace is also incidentally something I particularly remember, because I read it in Pondicherry in part in an Ashram guest-house and the rest sitting on the beach there near the Gandhi statue.
Anyway, thanks again for being one of the few people who actually bother to read my ramblings on my blog. Cheers.
Re: Calasso interview – the link seems to be have been swallowed by Blogger... please google "Calasso Paris Review Art of Fiction" and you should be able to locate it.
4 comments:
"the comment has nothing to do with graves "
once u told me that borges was your fav writer ...and i had resented that i was not learned enough to understand him.....but after reading all his fictions and some non fictions esp a new refutation of time....i also am a fan of borges..people usually recommend ialo calvino as a similar writer,, but he is quite different...i found the new york trilogy in the similar mood ...
i am ordering bruno sculz ...can u recommend some familiar writings..i mean similar to borges?
Hello Sandipan, it's been a while since we talked last... I am quite surprised and happy that you remembered this blog and have been visiting for such a long time. Thank you.
Regarding JLB, he is still probably my favourite writer – though I would now add Faiz Ahmad Faiz to that list. Both of them have had a huge impact on my personality and how I think about things. Like Borges... hm, a very tough question, in that I don't know if anyone can be as incredibly well-read as him... but you may try Roberto Calasso. I have heard really good things about him. Though I don't have much time to read outside what my PhD asks me to read these days, I have been wanting to read him for a long time. You can check out this interview of Calasso to begin with if you wish:
When I read 'When on a Winter's Night a Traveller' quite a few years back, it sort of reminded me of a maze, you know? Like Calvino was playing with the reader, writing her a labyrinth like Daedalus built one for the Minotaur at Crete.
I'm afraid I haven't read any Bruno Schulz, but thanks for the recommendation. The New York Trilogy is one of the books I really like... though I see why the Milton professor's roundabout routes (I forget his name, Paul Stitman, Stidman? anyway) in City of Glass would remind of Calvino's twists and turns :)... do try to get your hands on the graphic novel version of City of Glass if you can, it's rather nice. I later got the Faber Firsts edition of The New York Trilogy, but my first copy of City of Glass was a tiny paperback edition with an all-red cover printed in Germany that I discovered while browsing through the bookshelves in an old and dusty second-hand bookstore on Free School Street in Calcutta... quite apt, don't you think? Reading Auster's Moon Palace is also incidentally something I particularly remember, because I read it in Pondicherry in part in an Ashram guest-house and the rest sitting on the beach there near the Gandhi statue.
Anyway, thanks again for being one of the few people who actually bother to read my ramblings on my blog. Cheers.
Re: Calasso interview – the link seems to be have been swallowed by Blogger... please google "Calasso Paris Review Art of Fiction" and you should be able to locate it.
thanks ...i wil check out Calasso ....
Post a Comment