21.5.13
Paimana Bitte
This is a song I keep coming back to. Haniya's voice on the album version (Chup, 2008) sounds a little more spare and pristine, but this live version recorded for Coke Studio Pakistan is vivacious in its own way. The rabab adds an additional layer of magic to this performance. Happy listening!
Zeb and Haniya on what their song in Darri, Farsi and Pushto is all about:
Like any other song in a different language, an exact literal definition isn’t possible. So the band members tell Images what they think translates closest to the song’s meaning in English.
Part one, translated from Darri/Farsi:
Paimana bideh ki khumaar astam;
Bring me the glass so I may lose myself;
Man aashiq-e chashm-e mast-e-yarastam;
I am in love with my beloved’s intoxicating eyes;
Bideh, bideh, ki khumaar astam;
Bring (the glass), bring (the glass), so I may lose myself;
Part two, translated from Pushto:
Dilgeer garzama labela taana;
You have captured my heart and I wander aimlessly without you;
Khabar me waakhla, raasha jaanana;
My love come/return, and see the state I’m in;
Khabar me waakhla, raasha jaanana;
My love come/return, and see the state I’m in;
Tarso ba garzay te bela mana?
How long will you wander without me?
[Taken from Dawn Images 10th August 08 issue]
Via Awais Aftab.
Zeb and Haniya's website: http://www.zebandhaniya.com/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment